For people living in the northern hemisphere where cold and darkness seem to last for a very long time, the lengthening of daylight hours is always a reason to feel joyful. Renewed vitality, renewed freshness, the sky seems more blue and clear. It may still be cold and it is still January - but the sun holds a promise of completion of the dormancy of nature to rebirth into freshness and new creations. Winter is an important time for rest, regeneration and nurturance of potential seeds of growth however we know that spring is coming. So how do we help this rebirthing process along? Here are some tips to help bring in sun energy - the light - to bring forward your seeds of potential.
- Place symbols of the sun in your immediate environment. One of most important symbols is the candle. Candles symbolize light in the darkness. In a deeper way, they are the symbol of illumination. Connection to your spiritual essence, the spirit of truth and your connection withdivinity. The components of the candle in themselves have meaning: the wax is the symbol of humanity, the wick representing the soul and the light represents love and divinity, the flame represents fire of the Godhead, our connection to it in all our humility as well as the mysteries of the Gods. Lighting candles were a part of prayer practice and meditation to receive illumination, vision and connection to purpose. In ancient times candles were also the source of light and heat in a shelter. Blessing your candles is also a powerful practice to help keep the light in times of darkness which may occur in the upcoming year. Other symbolic elements include: Bringing elements of the colour gold/yellow into your environment. This can be clothing, decor, flowers, gemstones. Incorporate the circles and curves. Sun energy can be very masculine in many traditions. Bringing in the symbol of the circle balances with the feminine. In Japan - the beautiful flag represents the sun. The symbolic representation of a female deity - Amaterasu.
- Take time to reflect internally. When is the last time that you allowed yourself to dream? What is your vision? Write it down. What do you wish to manifest and create? Many times we are so busy we put it off. Nothing is too big of a dream, connect to the light inside of you. With a grateful heart make a list your gifts and talents and what brings you joy. Use this illumination to power desire.
- Take action. Make your vision into a reality. This means setting goals. However, the key to setting goals is actually using them as a touchstone for purposeful action. Every moment in every day is purposeful. Choose actions that are relevant to your life and what you want to create. All steps then become meaningful, whether they are small or leaps. Then the goal is transformed, it is not about the goal it becomes about the journey.
- Respect the rhythm of nature. What does this really mean? It means to flow with time, take the time to rest, time to play and time to work. The rhythm of nature is represented to humanity as time. The sun rises the sun sets. Respecting the rhythm of nature creates balance within our self and will affect how we navigate life. We see this evidenced in nature. Small imperceptible day to day changes, such as the lengthening of the daylight hours, we may not notice from one day to the next, however we certainly can notice the difference week to week. It is the opposite of forcing or trying to control. When you actually trust in the most benevolent outcome instead of placing conditions or trying to control the outcomes it goes much smoother.
- Repetition and practice are key, (ask any musician). Consistency and perseverance. Repetition creates rhythm. Small purposeful steps in action from tip number three above begin to layer and create momentum. A momentum to which the outside world would see as a leaps. Using affirmations or positive statements and saying them rhythmically will help fuel your actions towards your vision. Saying affirmations help transform your thoughts. Thoughts are things, and thoughts create your reality. Affirmations help to penetrate into the subconscious, and to re-pattern your thinking. This brings the potential to influence your outlook on life. Repeat affirmations and positive statements out loud at first, then mentally. Allow the words to become absorbed into your feeling life, there they will make way into your subconscious mind. The actions that you take in alignment to these positive statements will bring transformation to your conscious state and become a part of your integral being.
This time of year is exciting because the return of the sun heralds the energy of the spring to come - where what we vision manifests in a very quick way. Use these suggestions on how to use sun energy to flow your potential in these upcoming months and let me know other ways that you use the sun energy to radiate and live your potential.