- Focus on the positive and BE positive around the experiences that you enjoy. Sometimes stress can bring to mind unpleasant memories from past family gatherings - counteract this with 3 positive memories as well as 3 gratitudes of the present moment. The practice of consistently maintaining positive thoughts assist in creating a positive reality.
- Allow yourself to let go of the past. It is not unusual to be triggered by certain family members, ex-spouses or partners. (Especially when children and custody agreements are part of your life) When this happens remember that today is a new day. Things have the potential of going very well, especially when you expect things to go well. By letting go of past wrongs, you are saying that they cannot hurt you anymore. You are standing in your own self empowerment.
- Expect positivity however have realistic expectations. If it is your turn to host the family meal, then let it be what works for you. From the menu on - do what fits in your budget, and tickles your taste buds. If big dinners are your thing with your best china then enjoy every aspect of it and do not be disappointed if things do not go as planned. Family meals are for good laughs, welcoming atmosphere and company, however they can go sideways if the importance is on perfection.
- Ask for help when you need it (and even if you don’t). Many times we juggle so many tasks that we think that we can squeeze more in. Take your time and breathe. Decide what is important and a priority. The rest is not necessary - or in the very least it can be something to delegate. Include family members in the planning, everyone participates and everyone then becomes responsible in the creation of something memorable.
- Self Care is essential as well as stick to a routine as much as possible - it is too easy to let busy come in and rule the household. You are always the priority. As much as possible stick to your eating, sleeping and exercising routine. Make time for yourself so that you can stay peaceful and grounded.
For people living in the northern hemisphere where cold and darkness seem to last for a very long time, the lengthening of daylight hours is always a reason to feel joyful. Renewed vitality, renewed freshness, the sky seems more blue and clear. It may still be cold and it is still January - but the sun holds a promise of completion of the dormancy of nature to rebirth into freshness and new creations. Winter is an important time for rest, regeneration and nurturance of potential seeds of growth however we know that spring is coming. So how do we help this rebirthing process along? Here are some tips to help bring in sun energy - the light - to bring forward your seeds of potential.
- Place symbols of the sun in your immediate environment. One of most important symbols is the candle. Candles symbolize light in the darkness. In a deeper way, they are the symbol of illumination. Connection to your spiritual essence, the spirit of truth and your connection withdivinity. The components of the candle in themselves have meaning: the wax is the symbol of humanity, the wick representing the soul and the light represents love and divinity, the flame represents fire of the Godhead, our connection to it in all our humility as well as the mysteries of the Gods. Lighting candles were a part of prayer practice and meditation to receive illumination, vision and connection to purpose. In ancient times candles were also the source of light and heat in a shelter. Blessing your candles is also a powerful practice to help keep the light in times of darkness which may occur in the upcoming year. Other symbolic elements include: Bringing elements of the colour gold/yellow into your environment. This can be clothing, decor, flowers, gemstones. Incorporate the circles and curves. Sun energy can be very masculine in many traditions. Bringing in the symbol of the circle balances with the feminine. In Japan - the beautiful flag represents the sun. The symbolic representation of a female deity - Amaterasu.
- Take time to reflect internally. When is the last time that you allowed yourself to dream? What is your vision? Write it down. What do you wish to manifest and create? Many times we are so busy we put it off. Nothing is too big of a dream, connect to the light inside of you. With a grateful heart make a list your gifts and talents and what brings you joy. Use this illumination to power desire.
- Take action. Make your vision into a reality. This means setting goals. However, the key to setting goals is actually using them as a touchstone for purposeful action. Every moment in every day is purposeful. Choose actions that are relevant to your life and what you want to create. All steps then become meaningful, whether they are small or leaps. Then the goal is transformed, it is not about the goal it becomes about the journey.
- Respect the rhythm of nature. What does this really mean? It means to flow with time, take the time to rest, time to play and time to work. The rhythm of nature is represented to humanity as time. The sun rises the sun sets. Respecting the rhythm of nature creates balance within our self and will affect how we navigate life. We see this evidenced in nature. Small imperceptible day to day changes, such as the lengthening of the daylight hours, we may not notice from one day to the next, however we certainly can notice the difference week to week. It is the opposite of forcing or trying to control. When you actually trust in the most benevolent outcome instead of placing conditions or trying to control the outcomes it goes much smoother.
- Repetition and practice are key, (ask any musician). Consistency and perseverance. Repetition creates rhythm. Small purposeful steps in action from tip number three above begin to layer and create momentum. A momentum to which the outside world would see as a leaps. Using affirmations or positive statements and saying them rhythmically will help fuel your actions towards your vision. Saying affirmations help transform your thoughts. Thoughts are things, and thoughts create your reality. Affirmations help to penetrate into the subconscious, and to re-pattern your thinking. This brings the potential to influence your outlook on life. Repeat affirmations and positive statements out loud at first, then mentally. Allow the words to become absorbed into your feeling life, there they will make way into your subconscious mind. The actions that you take in alignment to these positive statements will bring transformation to your conscious state and become a part of your integral being.
This time of year is exciting because the return of the sun heralds the energy of the spring to come - where what we vision manifests in a very quick way. Use these suggestions on how to use sun energy to flow your potential in these upcoming months and let me know other ways that you use the sun energy to radiate and live your potential.
Having youthful soft skin can be a challenge in the winter months. How do we keep skin in balance when faced with winds and fluctuating temperatures let alone the stresses of the day? Here are some facts and tips to keep skin healthy.
Skin performs 6 vital functions:
- Protection - a barrier to protect the body’s tissues from dehydration and to prevent invasion from harmful organisms.
- Sensation - the skin contains nerve endings that make it sensitive to heat and cold, as well as to pressure, vibration and injury.
- Temperature control - the skin regulates body temperature. In cold weather for example blood vessels contract to conserve heat and the hairs on the skin trap a layer of heat to provide insulation. In hot weather, the blood vessels dilate to allow heat to escape.
- Storage and synthesis - stores water and lipids (fatty compounds) it synthesizes vitamins B and D when activated by the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Absorption - small amounts of important gases are absorbed by the skin - oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide. As well as healing substances found in lotions and ointments. **As well as harmful substances such as chemicals added to lotions, cosmetics, clothing etc.
- Waste removal: Sweat glands in the skin function to control body temperature and to remove toxic substances from the body.
So how do we nurture this vital organ? We start by nurturing ourselves. Self love, self care.
Stop smoking. This advice has been given by health practitioners for many years. Studies show that smoking destroys collagen and elastin, vital components for the structure of skin.
Exercise. Regular exercise increases blood flow and carries more oxygen and nutrients to your skin. Exercise helps the skin to breathe. The skin is marvellous when you think about the function of breathing. This is one of the ways that body temperature is regulated and that toxins can be released.
Eat consciously. Feed your skin nutrition by choosing foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as cold water fish (salmon, tuna and sardines) and nuts and seeds. (flaxseeds, chia seeds) Eat a diet high in antioxidants. A good general rule to follow is to pick foods with a wide variety of colour. This can include lots of berries, leafy green vegetables, bright orange carrots ….make it a personal challenge to find things that are purple, or a colour that you know you haven’t eaten in awhile. Avoid alcohol, excessive caffeine, and sugars which can dehydrate the skin.
Drink plenty of water. Hydration is important in any season. Water keeps our brains clear, strengthens vitality and endurance, improves quality of sleep and removes toxins from the body.
Get your beauty rest. Your skin repairs itself while you sleep, so a good night’s rest is crucial to good skin health. So how to get a good night’s rest? Prepare yourself ahead of time. Turn off technology at least an hour before bedtime. Do quiet activities. If you have a busy mind, then write a list of what you need to do so that your mind can relax and rest. Most important is to get to bed before 11:00 pm.
Skin care products. Look at the ingredients on all your products. If you cannot pronounce some of them - keep them off your skin. Feed your skin with products that contain nutrients and healing qualities such as you would find with essential oils, and seed oils. Look for skin care with peptides to help rebuild collagen.
Facial rejuvenation. Did you know that the health of your body organs are reflected in your face? Through acupressure, massage, yoga and reflexology your can learn to identify imbalances in your health which show up as wrinkles, discolouration, fatigue and puffiness. These alternative healing practices are non invasive, calming and assist with whole body balance. Find a practitioner near you, or learn techniques for yourself through courses such as we offer through harmonic-medicine.com
Remember this, self care and your self love will affect your lifestyle. Generally speaking, your lifestyle will reflect through your skin. Allow yourself time for self care, to make little changes which over time become healthy habits. Your love of Being IS the greatest beautifier and regenerator.
- Prayer What is prayer? Prayer is communication with your inner divinity. As you know, you are a microcosm of the macrocosm. Therefore to understand what it is that you truly desire and wish to create - you must connect to your inner divinity. Connecting to the divinity within, connects you to the Divinity of the macrocosm. Through prayer we align to Divine Will, and from here we encounter power. The power of desire, the power of words, the power of emotions. Connection to what brings us joy, what brings us healing. The first key of manifestation is to ignite the power of desire within us - to feel the emotion of it. This first action builds the bridge of trust in the success of the Divine plan.
- Visualization Spend time everyday visualizing what you desire as if it has already materialized. What does this really mean? It means noticing the abundance around you, the beauty that surrounds you, the laughter you hear. It means being fully present and engaged in the world around you. Like children, they play all the time, they imagine - they are princesses, super heroes, astronauts…..they play. So as you visualize - think of the joy and playfulness in the abundance. Soak it up in your eyes and all of your senses… the smells, the touch, how things feel on your skin. Experience the world through the eyes of the child.
- Gratitude Do not underestimate the power of gratitude. Gratefulness for a bill - because you had hot water. Grateful for the little things. Why is this important? Gratitude helps negate the energy of longing. Longing means that something is missing from you life. Longing blocks you from receiving because it is feeding the energy of lack. Gratitude also neutralizes and releases the energy of fear. Imagine and visualize that you are able to receive a bill free from fear, connecting to the emotional energy of being financially sound.
- Intention This is where positive affirmations are truly helpful. If your intention is to be healthy, vital and strong. Then say “I am healthy, I strengthen my vitality every day” Intention is always connected to an action. Therefore, if using the above affirmation as an example, then your actions will be more in alignment with the affirmation. You may choose foods which make your body feel healthy, you may sign up for a gym class that strengthens your cardio or increases your flexibility. You may simply make one step as simple as going to bed a little earlier. Affirmations help you live your intentions, firstly they help connect to an emotion of joy in your heart. If you do not feel an emotion at first, do not worry, connect to step 2 above, visualize, feel and play. The experience might be smooth and pleasant, or exhilarating and exciting. You will notice that your motivation and joy soar. Link your intentions with emotions of joy and gratitude to fuel the creation process.
- Repetition Repetition is the action of constantly bringing an action, thought or emotion into conscious awareness It serves to re-pattern the brain. The creation of new neural pathways, with affirmations of wellbeing, happiness and joy. Repetition allows for the creation of new habits and new ways of thinking and allowing them to solidify in action and reality.
- Ask for the most benevolent outcome This is a lesson of trust. Know that you are supported when desire, will, purposeful present engagement in life are in alignment. Learn to let go of the specific outcome, allowing that something even better than what you imagined will be experienced.